Pluto TV is probably one of the easiest ways to watch live TV right now. Operated by ViacomCBS Streaming, the free live-stream TV service includes more than 250 ad-supported, curated live channels. It also makes it easy to find your favorite programs by grouping together similar content into categories such as Movies, Entertainment, News + Opinions, Reality, and Crime. And the best part is that you don’t even have to create an account.
In order to join the “watching party,” you will need the Pluto TV app installed on your smart TV and/or other devices. The service is available in the United States, Germany, Australia, Austria, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom. Also, it can be accessed from Canada and Latin America, but there you won’t get access to all the content Pluto has to offer. It’s the content rights we blame for this.
But, as that’s usually the case, the situation changes if you’re using a VPN. It will let you access Pluto like you’re on the U.S. soil, with no restrictions of any kind. Plus, you’ll get all other benefits a VPN brings to the table, including enhanced security and privacy.
We’ve made it easy for you to select the right VPN for the job. What follows is the list of dependable services you can rely on for Pluto and pretty much everything else. Make your pick and enjoy!
- 5,000+ servers in the network
- Easy to use - install it and forget it
- One license is good for up to 6 devices
- Strict zero-logs policy
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Chrome extension is just a proxy
- You can't pay with PayPal
Its network includes more than 5,000 servers spread across 60 countries, which directly translates into faster speeds. NordVPN is also very secure, relying on the strong 256-bit encryption combined with secure VPN protocols (OpenVPN, WireGuard, IKEv2/IPSec). But as a user, you get a seamless experience with all this technology "doing its thing" in the background.
NordVPN is well suited to pretty much every task you throw at it — whether it's accessing a banned site from some country that filters out the internet, torrenting, accessing streaming services, or just wanting to keep a low profile on the web. It also doesn't keep any logs.
We highly recommend NordVPN to anyone looking for reliable service.
- Feature-rich yet easy to use
- One of the best VPNs around
- Strong no-logging policy
- Reliable support you can reach 24/7
- Limited number of servers in Africa and the Middle East
- Kinda pricey
ExpressVPN has great desktop apps for Windows and Mac, mobile apps and browser extensions. Also, it is well suited for video streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer and others.
However, what makes it stand out is its ease of use. We can't emphasize this enough. One could tell a lot of time has been spent making sure even the advanced features are easily accessible. And we love it for that. Plus, let's not forget ExpressVPN's speed which tends to leave other services in the dust.
- It's super fast!
- Works with Netflix, BBC and others
- Easy to use apps, browser extensions
- You can try it for free!
- Some advanced features are not configurable
- Not the best for high-censorship countries
Furthermore, thanks to the availability of browser extensions - Hotspot Shield is also one of our top choices for Chrome and Firefox VPNs.
Your privacy is equally well protected, with the software only collecting some anonymized that help continually improve its service.
There is one caveat though - it won't work in high-censorship countries like China. If you don't need that in the first place, we highly recommend Hotspot Shield.
As that's typically the case with most VPN services out there, the longer you commit - the better deal you get. However, what makes Hotspot Shield even better is the fact that it offers a 7-day free trial of its service. A few other top VPN providers do the same. Plus, its money-back guarantee lasts for 45 days, making for a risk-free purchase. Cause, you can always get your money back. Sweet and just the way we like it.
- One the best VPNs for torrenting
- Works well with Netflix
- Simple setup on all popular devices
- Strict zero-logs policy
- Doesn't work with BBC iPlayer
- Doesn't work in China
Its desktop apps are not among the prettiest ones, but they get the job done. The important thing is that installation is easy and straightforward, and that no logs are kept by the company.
When it comes to pricing, IPVanish is somewhere in the middle — it's not the most affordable option but also not the most expensive one. As noted, it will be most appreciated by heavy BitTorrent users, and — related — Kodi fans.
- Reliable download and upload speeds
- Works with Netflix and BBC iPlayer
- Strict zero-logs policy
- Lets you use it on unlimited number of devices
- Low number of servers in Africa and Australia
You can rely on it for streaming and torrenting, with included extra features like CleanWeb and MultiHop, delivering a that much better — and more secure — experience.
Surfshark, the company, is based in the British Virgin Islands and with its zero-logs policy makes for a powerful combo to anyone looking to keep its web whereabouts under the radar.
The service is easy to use and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
If you still haven’t heard of it, Pluto TV is an internet TV service owned and operated by ViacomCBS Streaming. Co-founded by Tom Ryan, Ilya Pozin and Nick Grouf in 2013 and based in Los Angeles, California – Pluto is an ad-supported service that primarily offers a selection of programming content through digital linear channels designed to emulate the experience of traditional broadcast programming. The service’s revenue is generated from advertisements seen during programming within ad breaks structured similarly to those found on conventional television.
Pluto TV licenses its content directly from providers, and as of March 2020 has deals with 170 content partners providing more than 250 channels and 100,000 unique hours worth of programming. Its content is available via its website and supported apps. As of August 2021, the service has 52 million monthly active users.
Pluto TV content can be streamed through a number of platforms, including: Android and Apple iOS/iPadOS devices, Android TV, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Roku, Vizio SmartCast, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, webOS, Chromecast, Virgin Media and macOS and Windows computers. Pluto-operated channels are also offered through The Roku Channel’s live TV section.
Outside of the United States, Pluto TV is currently available in parts of Europe and Latin America. It is also available in countries such as Canada, but only in a limited capacity due to existing program rights held by domestic broadcasters.
Pluto TV programming
As noted above, Pluto TV is structured similarly to the traditional cable TV, offering its content as designated channels categorized by program content type into multiple channel categories:
- Featured – new channels and special event content.
- Movies – movie channels that include both general-format and genre-based (e.g., comedy, action, horror) services.
- Entertainment – general and specialty entertainment-based programming.
- News + Opinion – mainstream news and opinion channels, as well as partisan, commentary-based outlets.
- Reality – reality and competition shows
- Crime – crime dramas and reality shows
- Comedy – stand-up, sitcom/sketch comedy, curated viral video channels, and more.
- Classic TV – channels focused on classic television shows
- Home + DIY – lifestyle-oriented channels
- Explore – travel, lifestyle, historical and special-interest channels.
- Sports – live and previously-aired events, sporting news and analysis programs.
- Gaming + Anime – technology, science, sci-fi, and geek culture-oriented channels.
- Music – music videos and video concerts
- En Español – Spanish entertainment channels.
- Kids – channels aimed at children and young teenagers.
- Local – CBSN Local channels
As of August 2021, Pluto TV carries over 200 channels, packaging content acquired through various content syndication deals, as well as programming from ViacomCBS’s internal libraries.
Traditional TV channels whose feeds are carried directly on Pluto include Court TV, NASA TV, Discovery Channel, CNN (plus sister network HLN, HBO and Cartoon Network), WeatherNation TV, Buzzr, Newsmax TV, the Trinity Broadcasting Network (and sister network Hillsong Channel), Fox News (and sister network Fox Business), Euronews, Bloomberg Television, Sky News (plus sister network CNBC, MSNBC, USA Network, Syfy and E!), Professional Bull Riders’ Ride Pass, Eleven Sports, Stadium and TheBlaze.
In addition, Pluto also offers “pop-up channels,” which maintain binge-viewing or specialty programming formats that operate on a temporary or open-ended basis.
You need a VPN for Pluto TV
And not just for Pluto TV as a good VPN has much more to offer. Aside from letting you access services that would otherwise be outside of your reach, a VPN will have your back in many other situations. For instance, it will let you:
- Protect your privacy from the government and big corporations
- Bypass restrictions imposed by the government or various organizations
- Change your IP address so you get unrestricted access to Netflix, Disney+, iPlayer, HULU, and other video streaming services
- Encrypt and protect private data from cybercriminals
The top contenders that check all these boxes include the following: