Most people access social media services on a daily basis, but that doesn’t mean these sites can be accessed in every country. Heck, even some companies and schools in the West prohibit access to social media websites.
Luckily, there are good VPN services that let you bypass all kinds of restrictions, whether they have been enacted by a government or some organization. In other words, with a VPN app running your computer, smartphone, tablet or router — you can get around those restrictions and get your social media fix… and do so much more.
Speaking of “so much more,” you shouldn’t get a “one-trick pony”; instead get a VPN that will also let you surf the web anonymously, download files with BitTorrent, stream movies and TV shows, and so on.
To get the best VPN for social media (and other things), we suggest going through the list below. All of these services “get the job done,” but for the best experience — grab the one at the top, and let it do its magic in the background while you safely and securely access every corner of the Interwebs. It’s actually that easy. 😉
- 5,000+ servers in the network
- Easy to use - install it and forget it
- One license is good for up to 6 devices
- Strict zero-logs policy
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Chrome extension is just a proxy
- You can't pay with PayPal
Its network includes more than 5,000 servers spread across 60 countries, which directly translates into faster speeds. NordVPN is also very secure, relying on the strong 256-bit encryption combined with secure VPN protocols (OpenVPN, WireGuard, IKEv2/IPSec). But as a user, you get a seamless experience with all this technology "doing its thing" in the background.
NordVPN is well suited to pretty much every task you throw at it — whether it's accessing a banned site from some country that filters out the internet, torrenting, accessing streaming services, or just wanting to keep a low profile on the web. It also doesn't keep any logs.
We highly recommend NordVPN to anyone looking for reliable service.
- Good for both torrenting and streaming
- Works in China
- Solid network with servers in 60+ countries
- Easy to use apps on multiple platforms
- Live chat isn't always available
- Fairly pricey
Whether you need a VPN for watching Netflix shows or downloading files via BitTorrent, Astrill can help you out — all while keeping your identity under the radar. And this is especially true if you live or work in China when the company's stealth protocols will kick in to let you access all the popular sites that are by default blocked by the country's censors.
Astrill's apps are easy to use and available on all popular platforms. Nevertheless, they still manage to provide a host of advanced features tech-savvy folks are used to get. Highly recommended, again, especially if you're looking to bypass the Great Firewall of China.
- Feature-rich yet easy to use
- One of the best VPNs around
- Strong no-logging policy
- Reliable support you can reach 24/7
- Limited number of servers in Africa and the Middle East
- Kinda pricey
ExpressVPN has great desktop apps for Windows and Mac, mobile apps and browser extensions. Also, it is well suited for video streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer and others.
However, what makes it stand out is its ease of use. We can't emphasize this enough. One could tell a lot of time has been spent making sure even the advanced features are easily accessible. And we love it for that. Plus, let's not forget ExpressVPN's speed which tends to leave other services in the dust.
- Fast download and upload speeds
- Works with Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, etc.
- Great for torrenting
- Advanced privacy features (i.e. Tor over VPN)
- Relatively small number of servers
- There are no browser extensions
- Live chat support is not always available
Specifically, you can rely on PrivateVPN for both torrenting and streaming, without paying a premium. It is, in fact, one of the most affordable options in its league and we love it for that.
Customer support may not be on par with bigger players but it's not like you should experience many problems anyway. You will get the same level of security and privacy as with other services, and a single license will let you run PrivateVPN on up to 6 devices. Pretty cool.
- Works in China
- Many servers in Asia
- Strict zero-logs policy
- Advanced services like VyprVPN Cloud
- No browser extensions
- Torrenting could be better
It manages to bypass restrictions in high-censorship countries and elsewhere by relying on its proprietary Chameleon protocol, which can easily slide under the radar.
VyprVPN is also great for accessing video streaming services such as Netflix, Disney+, Hulu and so on — delivering the true buffer-free experience every single time. It will also work with BitTorrent, and consequently - Kodi.
VyprVPN has a strict zero-logs policy. Period.
Social Media 101
Social media is described as a collection of interactive computer-mediated technologies that facilitate the creation or sharing of information, ideas, career interests, and other forms of expression via virtual communities and networks. A variety of different social media services shares a few common features, including:
- User-generated content such as text posts or comments, photos or videos, and data generated through all online interactions, is the lifeblood of social media.
- Users create profiles for the website that are designed and maintained by the social media organization.
- Social media facilitate the development of online social networks by connecting a user’s profile with those of other individuals or groups.
Users access social media services from the web browser or using dedicated applications — typically on mobile devices. As users engage with social media, they create interactive platforms through which they can share, co-create, discuss, participate, and modify content posted on the service. Networks formed through social media change the way groups of people interact and communicate or stand with the votes.
Social media is different from traditional media in many ways — including reach, frequency, interactivity, usability, immediacy, and performance. For one thing, social media outlets operate in a dialogic transmission system (many sources to many receivers), which is in contrast to traditional media which operates under a mono-logic transmission model (one source to many receivers).
Popular social media sites
Some of the most popular social media websites include Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, WeChat, Instagram, QZone, Weibo, Tumblr, Baidu Tieba, and LinkedIn.
Because of the wide definition of the term social media, there are also other platforms that are sometimes referred to as social media services. These would include YouTube, QQ, Quora, Telegram, WhatsApp, LINE, Snapchat, Pinterest, Viber, Reddit, Discord, VK, and others.
The unifying thing about many of these services is that they could be blocked in some parts of the world, which brings us to the next section…
Why do you need a VPN to access social media?
Social media can and IS blocked in some places, including:
- Workplaces – where employers would like to see its workforce focused on the task at hand rather than cyber-schmoozing on the Internet.
- Schools and universities – similarly, they would prefer students to be focused on education rather than organizing parties online.
- High-censorship countries such as China, North Korea, countries in the Middle East, and so on. Because social media is also used to spread news and information, some governments block access to control the narrative within the country.
A good VPN can bypass all these restrictions, letting you access the Internet — social media included — in its entirety. And when we say “good” VPN, we mean proven — which is especially important in China where censors use sophisticated technologies to make it harder for users to freely roam the world wide web.
Get a VPN for all your needs
You (all of us, really) need a VPN for many things, not just for accessing social media services. A good VPN will:
- Protect your privacy from the government and big corporations
- Bypass restrictions imposed by the government or various organizations
- Change your IP address so you get unrestricted access to Netflix, Disney+, iPlayer, HULU, and other video streaming services
- Encrypt and protect private data from cybercriminals
- Download files with BitTorrent anonymously
The top contenders that check all these boxes — while also letting you access social media sites — include the following: