Tumblr may be one of the most popular websites in the world, but that doesn’t mean you can access it in every country. Heck, even some companies and schools in the West prohibit access to Tumblr.
Luckily, there are good VPN services that let you bypass all kinds of restrictions, whether they have been enacted by a government or some organization. In other words, with a VPN app running your computer, smartphone, tablet or router — you can get around those restrictions and access Tumblr… and do so much more.
Speaking of “so much more,” you shouldn’t get a “one-trick pony”; instead get a VPN that will also let you surf the web anonymously, download files with BitTorrent, stream movies and TV shows, and so on.
To get the best VPN for Tumblr (and other things), we suggest going through the list below. All of these services “get the job done,” but for the best experience — grab the one at the top, and let it do its magic in the background while you safely and securely access every corner of the Interwebs. It’s actually that easy. 😉
- 5,000+ servers in the network
- Easy to use - install it and forget it
- One license is good for up to 6 devices
- Strict zero-logs policy
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Chrome extension is just a proxy
- You can't pay with PayPal
Its network counts more than 5,000 servers spread across 60 countries — which directly translates into faster connection speeds. NordVPN is also very secure, relying on the strong 256-bit encryption combined with secure VPN protocols (OpenVPN, WireGuard and IKEv2/IPSec). But as a user, you get a seamless experience with all this technology "doing its thing" in the background.
NordVPN is well suited to pretty much every task you throw at it — accessing Tumblr, being just one of them. You can also rely on NordVPN to access other banned sites, torrenting, video streaming services, or just to keep a low profile on the web. It also doesn't keep any logs.
We highly recommend NordVPN to anyone looking for reliable service.
- Good for both torrenting and streaming
- Works in China
- Solid network with servers in 60+ countries
- Easy to use apps on multiple platforms
- Live chat isn't always available
- Fairly pricey
Astrill is not the most affordable option on the market, but it gets the job done and that — we think — is what matters at the end of the day.
In addition to Tumblr, Astrill will have your back whether you need it for accessing video streaming platforms or downloading files via BitTorrent — all while keeping your identity under the radar. And this is especially true if you live or work in China where the company's stealth protocols kick in to let you access all the popular sites that are by default blocked by the country's censors.
Astrill's apps are easy to use and available across platforms and devices. Nevertheless, they still manage to provide a host of advanced features tech-savvy folks are used to get. A highly recommended VPN.
- Feature-rich yet easy to use
- One of the best VPNs around
- Strong no-logging policy
- Reliable support you can reach 24/7
- Limited number of servers in Africa and the Middle East
- Kinda pricey
There are a few other VPNs that come close — and can sometimes even outshine ExpressVPN — but as far as the majority of users are concerned, this is the best VPN service they could buy.
ExpressVPN has great desktop apps for Windows and Mac, mobile apps and browser extensions. Also, it is well suited for video streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer and others.
However, what makes it stand out is its ease of use and we can't emphasize this enough. One could tell a lot of time has been spent making sure even the advanced features are easily accessible. And we love it for that. Plus, let's not forget ExpressVPN's speed which tends to leave other services in the dust. So whether you need a VPN for Tumblr or anything else - ExpressVPN won't let you down.
- Fast download and upload speeds
- Works with Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, etc.
- Great for torrenting
- Advanced privacy features (i.e. Tor over VPN)
- Relatively small number of servers
- There are no browser extensions
- Live chat support is not always available
You can also rely on PrivateVPN for torrenting and streaming without paying a premium. It is, in fact, one of the most affordable options in its league and we love it for that.
Customer support may not be on par with bigger players but it's not like you should experience many problems anyway. You will get the same level of security and privacy as with other services, and a single license will let you run PrivateVPN on up to 6 devices. Pretty cool.
- Works in China
- Many servers in Asia
- Strict zero-logs policy
- Advanced services like VyprVPN Cloud
- No browser extensions
- Torrenting could be better
It manages to bypass restrictions in high-censorship countries by relying on its proprietary Chameleon protocol, which can easily slide under the radar. The same capability lets VyprVPN users access Tumblr from wherever life takes them.
VyprVPN is also great for accessing video streaming services such as Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, HBO and so on — delivering the true buffer-free experience every single time. It will also work with BitTorrent, and consequently - Kodi.
VyprVPN has a strict zero-logs policy. Period.
The popular microblogging and social networking website was founded by David Karp in 2007 and is currently owned by Automattic. For those who haven’t heard of it, Tumblr allows users to post multimedia and other content to a short-form blog. It also lets users follow other users’ blogs, or they could make their blogs private.
As of August 12, 2019, Tumblr had over 475 million blogs on its platform, while attracting 400 million visitors per month.
Tumblr key dates
Tumblr has a rather interesting history; here are details that we think are cool to know:
- Tumblr development began in 2006 during a two-week gap between contracts at David Karp’s software consulting company, Davidville. It is said that Karp had been interested in tumblelogs (short-form blogs) and as none of the established blogging platforms introduced their own tumblelogging platform – he decided to jump in along with developer Marco Arment.
- Tumblr was launched in February 2007, and within two weeks the service had gained 75,000 users.
- In May 2012, Tumblr launched Storyboard, a blog managed by an in-house editorial team, featuring stories and videos about noteworthy blogs and users on Tumblr. That apparently hasn’t worked well as in April 2013 – Storyboard was shut down.
- In early June 2012, the first major brand decided to advertise on Tumblr. It was Adidas which also launched its official soccer Tumblr blog.
- On June 20, 2013 – Yahoo acquired Tumblr for $1.1 billion in cash. However, advertising sales goals were not met and in 2016 Yahoo wrote down $712 million of Tumblr’s value.
- In November 2015, Tumblr introduced an integrated instant messaging function, allowing users to chat with other Tumblr users. Also at that time, “group chats” were introduced to allow users to share content in real-time with users who share their interests.
- Verizon Communications acquired Yahoo in June 2017 and placed Yahoo and Tumblr under its Oath subsidiary — which was later renamed to Verizon Media Group.
- On August 12, 2019, Verizon Media announced that it would sell Tumblr to Automattic, which is best known for developing WordPress and operating WordPress.com.
Today, Tumblr is still owned and run by Automattic.
Where is Tumblr blocked?
Several countries have blocked access to Tumblr because of pornography, religious extremism or LGBT content. These countries include China, Indonesia, Kazakhstan and Iran.
The service can also be inaccessible in some workplaces and universities, but all that can be “handled” (bypassed) with a good VPN.
Look beyond Tumblr
You need a VPN for many things, not just for accessing Tumblr. A good VPN will:
- Protect your privacy from the government and big corporations
- Bypass restrictions imposed by the government or various organizations
- Change your IP address so you get unrestricted access to Netflix, Disney+, iPlayer, HULU, and other video streaming services
- Encrypt and protect private data from cybercriminals
- Download files with BitTorrent anonymously
The top contenders that check all these boxes — while also letting you access Tumblr from anywhere — include the following services: