“Is there a free VPN I can use online?” – that was a question that popped in our mailbox a few days ago.
Yes, there are quite a few free VPNs, but they seldom work. You see, someone has to pay for the underlying infrastructure and its maintenance, and if you don’t pay for it directly – you will unwillingly do it indirectly and get more ads than you can chew. Worse yet, you may get malware and potentially lose your data…
Free VPNs are good… to avoid!
All of us know that there is no such thing as a free launch. And on the Internet, we’ve learned that if we don’t pay for the product – WE are the product. Here’s how this translates into the VPN market:
- Security and privacy cost real money – server maintenance, salaries, licenses, etc.
- Malware – a free VPN may get you a virus
- Ads, ads, ads – or it can get you a ton of ads
- Streaming experience – and you may get a “buffer rich” streaming
- Is your time free? – can you really spend a ton of time trying various free solutions?
A must-read: There Is No Such Thing as a Good Free VPN
So instead of searching the Interwebs for a free VPN…
Try Hotspot Shield for free
Albeit limited, it could get the job done for you — depending on what you want to do online. Unlike its premium offering, Hotspot Shield’s free plan includes a subset of features, such as:
- 1 device – no simultaneous connections across multiple devices
- Limited streaming access – not the best for streaming, especially not in 2K or 4K
- Up to 2 Mbps – should be enough for web browsing and social networking
- 500 MB daily data limit – again, should be enough
- US-only – 1 location
Hotspot Shield’s premium offering removes all limitations mentioned above, allowing you to use it on five devices simultaneously and stream just about any movie and TV show you’d like. You will still need a valid subscription to the service you want to watch, though.
Most importantly, it will get you the much-needed anonymity online without worrying that Big Brother (i.e., Google, Facebook, government, etc.) is watching you at all times. And that, we think, is what the VPN is all about in the first place.
Get the best VPN you can
It is perfectly cool to start with Hotspot Shield’s free plan, but down the road – you should want to get a service you can rely on across devices and platforms. And you’ll want it to work in all kinds of circumstances and scenarios.
For example, good VPNs will let you bypass various restrictions in schools, universities, workplaces and even in high-censorship countries.
Moreover, they will make accessing public Wi-Fi hotspots more secure, as all your data will be encrypted. By doing this, VPNs effectively protect you from the so-called “man in the middle” attacks – the number of which has been growing in recent years. But luckily, so has the use of VPNs.
But, since you want to start with a free solution, check out Hotspot Shield’s free plan and take it from there. Hit the link below…