The other day we got the familiar question, “can I download a VPN for free?” to which we provided our classic answer, “yes, but…”
The problem with free VPN solutions is that they usually come with hidden costs, which you will want to avoid. You see, it takes a lot of resources (money) to operate a modern VPN service. So if a VPN service provider doesn’t charge you for the service directly, it has found a different way to make its business profitable. And sometimes, this “different way” is scary and could easily kill the point of getting a VPN in the first place.
The problem with free VPN downloads…
As you already know, there is no free launch. And on the Internet, if you don’t pay for the product – YOU are the product. Some of the things you should know:
- VPN-provided security and privacy are not free – server setup and maintenance costs real money
- Malware – free VPNs can get you a virus (that has already happened in the past)
- Ads – free VPN providers can make money by serving you ads
- Streaming you can’t rely on – free VPN providers tend to have a spotty network so you may not be able to enjoy movies and TV shows in their full glory
- Your time is NOT free – the question to ask yourself is whether you can spend time trying various free solutions.
A must-read: There Is No Such Thing as a Good Free VPN
We do suggest one service, though…
Try Hotspot Shield’s free plan
Unlike its premium (paid) offering, this one is rather limited and includes a subset of features, such as:
- One device – you can’t use it on multiple devices
- Limited streaming access – perhaps you can get to watch a movie but forget about 2K, 4K or even full HD
- Up to 2 Mbps – good enough for web browsing and social networking
- 500 MB daily data limit – enough for web browsing
- US-only – 1 location
Hotspot Shield’s premium offering builds on top of that by removing all limitations mentioned above. You get to use the VPN app on 5 devices simultaneously and access just about any streaming service you want to enjoy videos in 4K — if you have a valid subscription to a streaming service, that is.
Furthermore, this awesome VPN lets you be more anonymous online without worrying that Google and Facebook are watching over your shoulder. And that, we believe, is what the VPN should be all about.
Get the best VPN you can
It is perfectly fine to start with Hotspot Shield’s free plan, but ultimately you want to get a service you can rely on across devices and platforms. Also, you’ll want it to work in all kinds of circumstances.
For instance, a good VPN will let you bypass restrictions in places such as schools, universities, workplaces and even firewalls in high-censorship countries.
Moreover, it will make accessing public Wi-Fi hotspots more secure, encrypting all data that gets exchanged between your device(s) and the rest of the Internet. And by doing so, VPNs effectively protect you against the so-called “man in the middle” attacks.
Since you want to start with a VPN, you can download for free, hop over to Hotspot Shield’s website and start your journey today. Hit the link below and take it from there.